Why do you require Compatibility Testing?
In today’s competitive world, it is essential that the software or the products delivered to the buyers reflect true value for the cost they incur to buy or use the product. Thorough testing of the products helps build quality products that give value for money. Various software tests are conducted at different stages of software development and testing is also done on the finished product, earlier to its release. This testing is done to assure a competing edge in terms of quality, compatibility, price, and performance for the final product before it is released. Compatibility testing helps assure complete customer satisfaction as it verifies whether the application works or operates as expected for all the intended users across multiple platforms. This non-functional testing is conducted to ensure compatibility of a system, application, or website built with several other objects such as other web browsers, databases, operating systems, hardware platforms, users, mobile devices & networks, etc. It is conducted on the application to estimate the application’s compatibility with different environments. It can be done either through automation tools or it can be conducted manually.
Need for Compatibility Testing
Software applications delivered should be of high quality and compatible with all hardware, software, OS, platforms, etc. which are managed through opting for compatibility testing. Compatibility can be assured through adopting compatibility testing, which identifies any errors before the product is delivered to the end-user. This testing verifies or confirms that the product satisfies all the requirements set and agreed upon by both the developer and the end-user. This stable or quality product in turn enhances the reputation of the firm and propels the organization to success. It is also sure that quality products improve sales and marketing efforts and bring delight to the consumer. Moreover, an efficient compatibility test effort assures real compatibility among various computing environments. In addition, truly dynamic compatibility testing also verifies the workability and stability of the software that is of much importance before its release.
Types of Compatibility Testing
There are two types of compatibility testing: Forward compatibility testing and Backward compatibility testing.
Forward Compatibility Testing: This type of testing checks that the software is compatible with the brand-new or upcoming versions, and is thus called forward compatible.
Backward Compatibility Testing: This type of testing helps to verify whether the application created using the latest version of an environment also runs seamlessly in an older version. It is the testing conducted to verify the performance of the hardware/software with the older versions of the hardware/software.
Compatibility Testing can be performed for the following:
- Operating systems: testing across OS like Linux, Windows, and Mac OS, etc.
- Databases: testing over databases like Oracle, SQL Server, etc.
- Browsers: testing across browsers like IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Mozilla, etc. Some of the various common cross-browser testing tools involve Browserstack, Crossbrowsertesting.com, Browsershots, Browserling, Browsera, etc.
- Other System software: testing web server, messaging tools, networking, etc.
- Mobile applications: testing across different mobile platforms, networks, devices, etc.
Some of the most common Compatibility Testing Defects
- Differences in the user Interface with regard to look and feel
- Modifications with respect to font size, alignment issues
- Marked alterations in CSS style and color, issues related to the Scroll bar
- Existence of broken tables or Frames
Let us now have a look at the Compatibility Testing Process
- Initially, define the collection of environments or platforms the application is expected to use
- Draw the platforms, software, and hardware to know the expected behavior in various configurations
- Set up the testing environment
- Begin testing over platforms, devices, and networks
- Note the behavior, report the bugs in an order
- Get the bugs fixed
- Retest the application
Finally, it is correct that the end-user might test the product on various platforms or any other factor and they may discover bugs in the application which is not good in terms of quality. To decrease such issues and in order to release quality products, it is necessary to test the application on all the above-mentioned functionalities. Thus, compatibility testing performs an important phase in testing applications.
Most organizations today are taking the benefit of getting their testing performed outside, as they need not maintain a group of testers, or manage a broad range of hardware and software that is used in the process of testing.
TestUnitys’ Expertise with Respect to Compatibility Testing
TestUnity’s comprehensive compatibility testing services are conducted over a variety of operating systems, servers, hardware, browsers, databases, different versions, configurations, display resolutions, etc. Moreover, we implement an end-to-end cross-browser test automation solution with a fully packed Selenium test automation framework with integration plug-ins.
Contact TestUnity’s Team of Test Automation experts to understand more about our testing services.