With APIs increasingly becoming crucial components for software development, it has become vitally important for developers and programmers to do API tests. API testing is a method that focuses on discovering whether an API that has been developed satisfies the expected threshold in terms of functionality, performance, safety, and security. And since these tests are vitally essential, you require to utilize the best API testing tools out there. Owing to the hundreds of testing software in the market, we have used our time to gather a listing of the best API testing devices in the market.
SoapUI is a functional testing tool that discusses API testing. Because it is headless, users can test REST and SOAP APIs and Web services easily.
Free package: the free SoapUI package enables users to obtain access to the full source code and build their preferred features.
- Rapidly generate a test with Drag and drop, Point-and-click
- Reuse of Scripts: within certain steps, load tests and security scans can be reused in functional test cases
- Groovy provides for the effective production of custom code
- Data is derived from files, databases, and excel so customer interactions with API can be simulated
2. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a free test automation tool that is compatible with API, Web, and Mobile applications, and is quickly growing its extent as a top tool for API/Web services testing by being the complete solution developers and testers require.
Katalon Studio also supports SOAP and REST requests, as well as the variety of commands and parameterization functionalities they need. Additionally, the capacity to connect UI and API/Web services to operate in multiple environments such as Windows, Mac OS, and Linux is a unique feature amongst even the most reliable API tools.
- Supports both SOAP and Rest
- Can be used for both automated and exploratory testing
- Supports a data-centric strategy
- Covers API, WebUI, and Mobile testing as well as their corresponding features
- Supports CI/CD integration and AssertJ, enabling for a fluent statement with BDD style
- Available to non-tech savvy people as well as experts with both Manual and Groovy Scripting modes
Although it was produced as a plugin for Chrome, Postman is also compatible with Mac and Windows as well. Some advantages involve:
- Easy to use a REST client
- Allows automated as well as exploratory testing
- Allows various integrations such as support for external editors
- No requirement for learning a new language
As a cross-cloud API tool, Apigee allows the wonderful advantage of enabling users to obtain its features using other editors. Users can test performance as well as create API using other editors such as Swagger while exercising Apigee.
- Capable to track API traffic, response rates, as well as error rates.
- Allows for simple creation of proxies from Open API Specification
- Created for strong digital business, fit for APIs with tons of data.
5. Tricentis Tosca
Compatible especially with Agile and DevOps, Tricentis Tosca allows many privileges. It is an automated continuous testing system featuring flexible testing across multiple application stacks.
- Compatible with mobile, packaged, and cross-browser apps
- Faster time for regression testing
- Supports HTTP(s), JMS, AMQP, IBM, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, as well as other protocols
- Features effective model-based test automation
6. API Fortress
API Fortress particularly targets REST and SOAP APIs and endures the most powerful monitoring tool for the two. Recognized for its simplicity, API Fortress has already successfully attracted many enterprises to obtain the switch.
- Allows easy test production with one click.
- Compatible with the cloud and with physical hardware.
- Amazing notification and data integration
- Simplistic UI for beginners
Concentrating on reliability, Assertible is a common choice amongst recent developers.
- Grants support that verifies HTTP responses with turn-key assertions
- Grants support for tests after launch, fit with GitHub, Slack, Zapier
- Grants support for testing through every step of an integration
Although designed for other purposes, this open-source tool is common for API testing.
- Allows replay of results
- Gives the option to incorporate tests in CI pipelines
- Compatible for both static and dynamic resources
9. Karate DSL
A relatively new testing tool, Karate DSL concentrates on building scenarios for tests in a simple way. Users do not require to write step descriptions, as KarateDSL builds them for quick kickstarting.
- No Java experience needed
- Generates reports similar to Java projects
- Easy to learn for novices
- Gives support for multi-threaded parallel execution
As its name implies, Rest-Assured is a language that enables users to easily test REST service.
- Gives tons of built-in functions for a quick jumpstart on coding
- Users do not require extended HTTP knowledge
- Compatible with Serenity automation structure
- Provides a combination of UI and REST tests in one framework
Of course, there is no such thing as a one-tool-fits-all. Although we have incorporated some of the best testing tools on the market, it’s necessary to understand that each situation is different, and you may have to be flexible and try various programs before determining the best one for your product. While some prefer the easy to utilize commercial options, others may prefer the affordable yet more complicated open-source programs.
There is no one perfect tool for everyone. Every company has different requirements. Practically all of the API test tools listed above work well and are excellent options. The key is to understand the descriptions thoroughly and determine which best meets your team’s needs.
Our experts have expertise in all of these tools and implement according to the users’ software requirement and provide them with bug-free software. Let TestUnity experts help you in making a decision while carefully considering your requirements and the aspects of each solution!